Chiesa Baida icon

Chiesa Baida

Aster Software
Free
100+ downloads

About Chiesa Baida

The Church, initially dedicated to Santa Maria degli Angeli, was founded by Manfredi III of Chiaramonte between 1371 and 1383 and entrusted to the Benedictine monks of San Martino delle Scale. Once the Chiaramonte power ended, it passed under royal control and fell.

After 107 years of total abandonment, Archbishop Giovanni Paternò, by royal concession, obtained to take care of the Church with the obligation to keep the monks there and the restoration of the structures. He enriched the site with an adequate water supply and distribution system, and using a nearby spring, he built some fountains, planted gardens and crops. In 1510, he began restoration and embellishment works at the end of which, he dedicated the Church to San Giovanni Battista. On this occasion, he had a statue of the saint sculpted by Gagini, placed inside the church and which became the center of attraction for the people of Palermo who began to go there on pilgrimage.

In 1596 the church and monastery were granted to the Friars Minor of San Francesco who have lived there ever since.

The facade facing west is preceded by a crenellated portico with three lights: respectively two lateral single-light windows with grates and a central one for access. The passage is delimited by pillars, surmounted on the ogive by the emblem with the arms of the Chiaramonte, scattered around the façade are those of Paternò, the Crown of Aragon, the city of Palermo, and the Xiabicha family. In the vestibule with cross vaults, frescoes depicting two historical episodes are documented: 1) Jesus chasing the merchants from the Temple, 2) the Death of Heliodorus and Tree of the Franciscan family.

The upper part with sloping gabled features an arch with an inscribed mullioned window, all delimited by a polylobed frame. The entrance portal is by Antonio Vanella from 1507 with a dedication and coat of arms by Paternò. The current interior is the result of several renovations. In 1753 due to a fire, the trussed roof was destroyed and replaced by a barrel vault; the triumphal arch of the 1300s was covered with stucco and the presbytery modified.

In the 1950s the original state of the Church was restored with the rediscovery of the triumphal arch and the Chiaramonte apse; an altar in precious marble was built behind which was placed a sixteenth-century wooden choir from the Church of the Gancia.

In 1986, other modern renovations altered the Franciscan simplicity of the Church.

Chiesa Baida Screenshots