Dolná Tižina icon

Dolná Tižina

EWORKS.sk s.r.o.
Free
100+ downloads

About Dolná Tižina

The village of Dolná Tižina is located in the Terchovský spur of the Žilina Basin at an altitude of 440 m.a.s.l. The first mention of the name of the village is from 1439 as Chysina, later Chyssyna, from 1598 Czizina, from 1773 Tižina and from 1920 Dolná Tižina. The village originally belonged to the Starý hrad estate, later to the Strečno castle. In 1598 it had 23 houses and a mill, in 1721 it had 21 taxpayers. In 1784, there were 205 houses in its territory, in which 212 families lived. At that time, the village had 1226 inhabitants. At the beginning of the 19th century, typhus and plague affected the inhabitants of the village. Many people succumbed to the epidemic, so in 1828 the village had 340 houses, but only 898 inhabitants. The inhabitants were engaged in agriculture and work in the forest. The oldest buildings in the village include the rectory building, originally wooden, which was built in 1789 and the Stone Bridge from 1830. However, the dominant feature of the village is the Roman Catholic church of St. Michal Archangel, built in 1875 and restored in 1960. In its interior we can find paintings from 1915 by the important Slovak painter Ján Hanula. The symbols of the village are the coat of arms together with the seal and the flag. The original seal has a diameter of 25 mm, in its center there is a bush with a tulip flower. The coat of arms of the village is also derived from the sign on the seal. Around the perimeter of the seal is the inscription SIGIL /UM/ .P/OSSESIONIS/ .TIZINAE.

Dolná Tižina Screenshots